Origin of School Names

Aldo Leopold Community School - Named in honor of the famous conservationist Aldo Leopold who worked in Wisconsin and was a professor at UW-Madison until his death in 1948.

Allouez School - Named in honor of Pere Claude Allouez, a French explorer who established a mission at the De Pere rapids in 1670-71.

Baird Elementary School - Named in honor of Henry S. Baird, mayor of Green Bay, an early territorial attorney, and the “Father” of the Wisconsin Bar Association.

Beaumont Elementary School - Named in honor of Dr. William Beaumont, a surgeon at Fort Howard Hospital in 1826. He introduced the small pox vaccination to the Fox Valley and discovered how man digests his food by performing experiments on a former soldier with a stomach wound that would not heal.

Chappell Elementary School - Named in honor of Robert Chappell, first president of Fort Howard in 1856.

Danz Elementary School - Named in honor of Otto and Leibert Danz, original owners of the land the school is located on.

Doty Elementary School - Named in honor of James D. Doty, who was appointed first Federal Judge west of Lake Michigan. He convinced lawmakers to locate the permanent state capitol in Madison.

Dr. Rosa Minoka-Hill School - Named after Lillie Rosa Minoka-Hill, the second Native American female doctor in the United States, who practiced medicine for years at the Oneida reservation and was adopted by the Oneida Nation of Wisconsin.

Early Learning Center - As its name implies, the Early Learning Center is a school exclusively for four-year-old and five-year-old kindergarteners.

Edison Middle School - Named in honor of Thomas Alva Edison, one of the greatest inventors in history. During his lifetime, Edison patented 1,093 inventions, including electric light and the phonograph.

Eisenhower Elementary School - Named in honor of General Dwight D. Eisenhower, 34th President of the United States. He served in WWI and WWII and was also Supreme Allied Commander in Europe of NATO.

Elmore Elementary School - Named in honor of Andrew E. Elmore, the last living member of the Wisconsin Constitutional Convention and Territorial Legislature. He is credited with getting the railroad built through Green Bay. His son, James Elmore, was chosen as the consolidated city’s first mayor and served six terms.

Franklin Middle School - Named in honor of Benjamin Franklin. Franklin was an inventor, statesman, philosopher, printer, and scientist.

Friedrich Froebel Garden of Early Learning Named after Friedrich Froebel, a German educator who developed the first kindergarten.

Fort Howard Elementary School - Named in honor of the land it was located on. The original Fort Howard was named after General Benjamin Howard, who fought in the War of 1812.

Howe Elementary School - Named in honor of Timothy O. Howe, the only Brown County resident to become a United States Senator and a member of a President’s Cabinet. He served three terms in the Senate and during the Civil War was appointed Postmaster General, a position he held until his death.

Jackson School - Named in honor of Annie Olson Jackson who owned the land the school is built on. The Jacksons emigrated from Norway shortly after the Civil War.

Jefferson Elementary School - Named in honor of Thomas Jefferson, third President of the United States and primary author of the Declaration of Independence. Jefferson also finalized the Louisiana Purchase, which included the territory that eventually became Wisconsin.

John Dewey Academy of Learning Named after John Dewey, a psychologist who believed that students are most successful when they take part in their own learning. 

Keller Elementary School - Named in honor of Helen Keller, who was deaf and blind but learned to read and write in Braille. She graduated from Radcliffe in 1904 and became a renowned lecturer and writer.

Kennedy Elementary School - Named in honor of John F. Kennedy, 35th President of the United States, who was assassinated on November 22, 1963.

King Elementary School - Named in honor of Martin Luther King, Jr., a black Baptist minister who became a famous civil rights leader. He was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize in 1964 and assassinated in 1968.

Langlade Elementary School - Named in honor of August de Langlade and his son, Charles de Langlade, original settlers in the village of La Baye (later Green Bay). They came from Mackinac around 1745 and established the first permanent trading post in the community.

Leonardo da Vinci School for Gifted Learners Named after Leonardo da Vinci, the famous Italian genius who lived during the Renaissance and whose interests and developments shaped the world we know today.

Lincoln School - Named in honor Abraham Lincoln, 16th President of the United States.

Lombardi Middle School - Named in honor of Vince Lombardi, famous coach of the Green Bay Packers.

MacArthur Elementary School - Named in honor of General Douglas MacArthur, Commander of Allied Forces in the Southwest Pacific during WWII and head of United Nations military forces during the Korean War.

Martin Elementary School - Named in honor of Morgan Lewis Martin, one of the first lawyers in Wisconsin. Martin came to Green Bay in 1805 and was first president of the borough of Green Bay.

Mason School - Named for the street it was located on. James Doty selected the street name to honor his political friend Stephen Mason, the Territorial Governor of Michigan.

McAuliffe Elementary School - Named in honor of school teacher Christa McAuliffe, who was an astronaut who died in the Challenger space shuttle explosion.

McCartney School - Named in honor of David McCartney, a prominent local lumberman who started the McCartney Exchange Bank.

Nicolet Elementary School - Named in honor of Jean Nicolet, first white man to explore the area in 1634. Nicolet believed he had discovered a route to the Orient and prepared for his historic landing wearing a flowing damask robe embroidered in flowers and birds. As he stepped ashore, he extended his arms and discharged two pistols into the air.

Northeast Wisconsin School of Innovation - Named for its innovative, proficiency-based educational model developed to serve students in the Green Bay Area Public Schools as well as students in Northeast Wisconsin. 

Norwood School - Named in honor of Dr. Joseph G. Norwood, Assistant United States Geologist who was responsible for surveying Minnesota and Wisconsin from 1847-50.

Porlier School - Named in honor of Judge Jacques Porlier, a fur trader in 1805. He was the city’s first school master who taught the Grignon children and other French families for a fee. Later he became the first chief justice of Brown County, a post he held until 1839. His school was his home, known as the Roi-Porlier-Tank cottage – the oldest house in Wisconsin. Located on 2881 West Point Road, the date of the construction of the Porlier School is unknown and the school was eventually converted to storage.

Preble High School - Named in honor of Commodore Edward Preble, a hero from the War of 1812.

Red Smith School - Named in honor of 1923 East High School graduate Walter W. “Red” Smith. Smith was a Pulitzer Prize winning sports writer for The New York Times.

Roosevelt School - Named in honor of Theodore “Teddy” Roosevelt, 26th President of the United States.

Sullivan Elementary School - Named in honor of Anne Sullivan, Helen Keller's teacher.

Tank School - Named in honor of Niels Otto Tank, a Norwegian Moravian missionary who owned much land on the west side. Tank’s wife, Caroline, willed a large amount of land to the city on the condition that it remain forever dry.

Washington Middle School - Named in honor of George Washington, first President of the United States of America.

Webster Elementary School - Named after its location, Webster Avenue, which was named after Daniel Webster. North/south streets in Green Bay were named after Presidents. Since there were only seven presidents at the time, local followers of Daniel Webster and Henry Clay demanded streets for their heroes.

Wequiock Elementary School - Native American name meaning “Bend in the Bay.”

Whitney School - Named in honor of Daniel Whitney, who built the town of Navarino which became part of the city of Green Bay.

Wilder Elementary School - Named in honor of Laura Ingalls Wilder, author of the “Little House on the Prairie” books.

Woelz School - Named in honor of a pioneer Bay family.

Website by SchoolMessenger Presence. © 2021 Intrado Corporation. All rights reserved.